The SMCE provides the following benefits to AIST Principal Investigators (PIs):
- Quick and cost-effective access to large quantities of storage and processing.
- Elastic resources and usage enabling PIs to scale capabilities up or down based on computing and storage needs while optimizing costs and usage.
- Accelerate project research by providing fast access to high performance, agile information technology (IT).
- Maximize research investment by spending less time and money on IT.
- Encourages collaboration by making it easy for projects to share data and resources.
- Simplified expense tracking to enable projects to know instantly how much they are spending in proportion to the length of time of the project and to make decisions to minimize costs.
- Providing an infrastructure for quick and seamless transition from development to production environments.
- Simplified methods for transferring funding to support the requirements and to begin conducting research as quickly as possible.
- Enables PIs with the ability to manage user accounts within their research project while the SMCE can monitor and track user roles, security policies, and more.
- Encourages AIST researchers to develop cloud-native products adhering to NASA standards and promotes easy end-user implementations and reuse of developed tools as much as possible.
- Provides PIs with the control of their software and computing environment while still maintaining NASA security requirements.
- Enables easier monitoring of projects’ expenses from the AIST program.
- Maintains NASA security requirements and reduces risk through a set of services for security logging records of all cloud activity, defining user roles and permissions, approval for all projects, trusted instance templates from which projects can start, and continuous scanning for vulnerabilities.
|For the Principle Investigator||For the Program|
|Accelerate Projects||Enables quick and easy access to large data and computing resources||Reduced project delays|
|Flexibility||Projects can grow and shrink quickly according to requirements||Projects have the ability to obtain the resources they require|
|Cost Control||Near real time access to charges enables cost control for PIs||Overall cost tracking and reduction across the program|
|Transition to Production||Identical development and production environments eases the transition to production||More capabilities are moved into production over time|
|Reduces Risk||Managed environments incorporate security throughout the project||Overall risk reduction across the program|
|End-User Implementation||Projects can agiley work with end-user communities to build the tools they need||Faster adoption of capabilities by end-user communities|
|Encourages Collaboration||Collaboration and sharing between projects and user groups is encouraged||Reuse of developed tools and collaboration drives up innovation|