Questions about logging in Questions about terminology Other questions

Questions about logging in

I can't log in. Are the systems down?

If you're unable to log on to an NCCS system, first check the system status page. The status page will show any known system outages, planned downtimes, and regular maintenance windows. If none of these apply to you, contact NCCS User Services for assistance.

Any RSA Token issue?

Please contact Enterprise Service Desk - (301) 286 - 3100

I tried three times to log in, and then I got a "Permission denied (publickey, keyboard-interactive)" message. What's going on?

As a security measure, some NCCS systems lock out userids after three consecutive failed attempts to log in. If you are locked out, you must call User Services at 301-286-9120 to have your userid unlocked.

Questions about terminology

What is a PIN?

"PIN" stands for personal identification number, a four to eight digit number that is assigned to you. You use your PIN in combination with the tokencode on your authentication key token (AKT) to login to NCCS systems.

What is a tokencode?

A tokencode is the sequence of numbers on your AKT. Tokencodes change every 30 - 60 seconds.

What is a passcode?

A passcode is a combination of two sequences of numbers that you use to log in to an NCCS system. The first sequence is your four-digit NCCS PIN, which is a permanent number assigned to you by NCCS User Services. The second sequence is your AKT tokencode, which changes every 30 - 60 seconds. Together these two sequences of numbers form a one-time-use passcode. To enter your passcode, type your PIN and and tokencode as one sequence, without spaces.

Other questions

I forgot my password. How do I recover it?

If you forget your password, you must call NCCS User Services at 301-286-9120 to have it reset. For security reasons, we will not e-mail passwords. When you call User Services to ask that your password be reset, we will ask you for your personal identification number (PIN) and the serial number on the back of your AKT. If you do not have these numbers, we will ask for your NCCS Identification Code: the secret word, phrase, or other identifier you specified when you applied for your userid. These are security measures to ensure that we are actually talking to you and not someone pretending to be you. Note that User Services will NEVER ask you for your system password(s)---and you should never volunteer your passwords under any circumstances.

How do I change my password on Progress?

The Progress uses LDAP environment. You could change your password from online or on discover. Click here

How do I bring up an xterm window on the HPC systems?

The method for bringing up an xterm window is slightly different for each major operating system from which you're accessing an HPC system. On a Windows OS, start your x-server (e.g., Exceed), open your ssh client (e.g., PuTTY), and enable x11 forwarding in the settings. On a Linux OS, ssh using the -X option. On a Macintosh OS, open the X11 application and ssh using the -X option.

How do I generate a public ssh key on my system?

To generate a public key, run the command-line program ssh-keygen (you can use either protocol 1 or 2). The public key will be placed at ~/.ssh/ (protocol 1) and ~/.ssh/ or ~/.ssh/ (protocol 2).

How do I set up a passwordless CVS environment on Progress and CVSACL?

  1. Generate ssh keys on the system from which you are connecting.
  2. Log into using LDAP password and click on "QuickStart guide," then Follow the instructions for Progress.
  3. Log into using LDAP password and follow the instructions for CVSACL.

I'm having problems with the qstat command.

    "qstat" is a PBS-style wrapper and does not support all functions and features of Slurm. Users are encouraged to use the native Slurm command "squeue" to query batch job information. Please see: qstat emulation